Struggling to establish your online presence and connect with your readers?
Building a strong author platform can be the key to your success in today’s digital age.
And although it takes time and consistent effort, growing a platform and community around your writing is worth the trouble.
In this article, I’ll walk you through how to build your author platform step-by-step.
But before we dive into the nitty-gritty of building your author platform, let’s first understand what it is and why it’s crucial for your success as an author.
Why is it essential to have an author platform? Well, having a strong author platform can help you:
- Connect with your audience and build a loyal following
- Establish yourself as an authority in your niche
- Increase your visibility and reach more readers
- Sell more books and generate more revenue
So, how can you build a strong author platform? Let’s find out.
Identifying Your Target Audience
Identifying your target audience is a crucial step in building your author platform and business.
After all, if you don’t know who you’re trying to reach, it’s difficult to create content and marketing strategies that resonate with your readers. Your goal is to tailor your platform and marketing strategies to meet their needs (as well as your own).
The more you know about your audience, the more effective you’ll be at connecting with them.
Here are some tips for identifying your target or ideal audience:
- Consider your genre. Different genres appeal to different readers.
- Think about your writing style. Are you humorous? Serious? Poetic? Knowing your writing style can help you connect with readers who share your sensibilities.
- Look at your existing fan base. If you already have a small following, take a closer look at who those readers are. What are their demographics? What do they like about your writing?
- Research your competitors. Take a look at other authors who write in your genre. Who are their readers? What do they like about their writing? This can give you a better understanding of the larger market you’re competing in.
- Conduct surveys or focus groups. Ask questions about demographics, interests, reading habits, and preferences to get a clearer picture of who your ideal reader is.
In-depth resource: The 4-Part System to Define & Attract Your Target Audience
Building Your Brand
Your author brand is how you present yourself and your writing to the world.
It’s about creating a unique identity that sets you apart from other writers and resonates with your readers.
By building a strong and recognizable brand that resonates with your target audience, you can create a powerful platform for your writing business.
Remember, your brand is a reflection of who you are and what you stand for – so make it count!
Here are some tips for building your author brand:
- Develop your voice. Consider the tone, style, and language you use in your writing, and strive to create a consistent voice across all your platforms.
- Have a clear message. Consider what sets you apart as a writer, and how you can communicate that in a clear and compelling way.
- Leverage your personal story. How have your own experiences influenced your writing, and how can you use your personal story to connect with your readers?
- Engage with your readers. Respond to comments and messages on social media, host Q&A sessions, and ask for feedback on your work.
- Consistency is key: Make sure your website, social media presence, and other platforms are all visually consistent and use a similar tone and style. This will help build recognition and trust with your readers.
In-depth resource: Brand Strategy for Authors: How to Truly Stand Out From the Crowd
Creating Your Author Website
Your author website is the home base of your author platform.
It’s the first place readers will go to learn more about you and your work, so it’s essential to create a professional-looking website that represents you and your brand.
Here are some tips for creating your author website:
- Choose a domain name that is easy to remember and reflects your brand
- Use a professional-looking template or hire a designer to create a custom website
- Include a bio, book summaries, and links to purchase your books
- Add a blog to share updates, news, and insights related to your work
- Make sure your website is mobile-friendly and optimized for search engines
In-depth resource: Your Author Website: Its Core Purpose and a ‘Must-Have’ Checklist
Building Your Email List
Your email list is one of the most valuable assets of your author platform.
It’s a direct line of communication with your readers and can help you promote your work, build relationships, and generate revenue.
Here are some tips for building your email list:
- Offer a free resource, such as a chapter from your book or a short story, in exchange for email addresses
- Add a sign-up form to your website and social media profiles
- Send regular newsletters with exclusive content, such as sneak peeks or special promotions
- Use segmentation to target specific groups of subscribers with tailored messages
In-depth resource: Email List Building: 9 Ways to Seriously Grow Your List (For Authors)
Leveraging Social Media
Social media is a powerful tool for connecting with your readers and expanding your reach. However, it’s essential to choose the right platforms and use them effectively.
Here are some tips for leveraging social media:
- Choose platforms that your target audience uses
- Post regular updates, including behind-the-scenes glimpses, writing tips, and sneak peeks
- Engage with your followers by responding to comments and messages
- Use paid advertising to reach a larger audience and promote your work
In-depth resource: The Ultimate Guide to Social Media for Writers 2023
Creating Engaging Content
Creating engaging content is key to building your author platform and connecting with your audience.
Here are some tips for creating content that resonates with your readers:
- Share your journey as an author, including your challenges and triumphs
- Provide valuable insights and advice related to your niche
- Collaborate with other authors, bloggers, and influencers to expand your reach
- Use multimedia, such as videos and podcasts, to create diverse content
In-depth resource: Audience Engagement: How to Establish a Genuine Connection with Your Readers
Additional Platform-Building Strategies
In addition to the main strategies mentioned above, there are several other ways to build your platform and grow your community.
Here are a few more ideas to consider:
- Guest blogging: Reach out to other blogs in your niche and offer to write a guest post. This can help you reach a new audience and establish yourself as an authority.
- Speaking engagements: Look for opportunities to speak at conferences, bookstores, libraries, and other events. This can help you connect with readers and other authors, as well as build your reputation as a speaker.
- Podcasts and interviews: Seek out podcasts and other media outlets that focus on your genre or niche. Offer to be a guest and share your insights and expertise.
- Online courses and webinars: Consider creating an online course or webinar that teaches others about your area of expertise. This can help you reach a wider audience and establish yourself as a thought leader. (For next-level learning material with premium, in-depth courses, check out my school).
- Collaborations and partnerships: Look for opportunities to collaborate with other authors or businesses in your niche. This can help you reach a new audience and expand your reach.
Q1. Do I need to be active on all social media platforms to build my author platform?
A1. No, it’s not necessary to be active on all platforms. Choose the ones (one or two to start) that your target audience uses and focus your efforts there. Quality over quantity is essential.
Q2. How often should I send newsletters to my email list?
A2. It depends on your audience and the type of content you’re sharing. Generally, sending a newsletter once a month is a good starting point. However, you can increase or decrease the frequency based on your subscribers’ preferences.
Q3. Is it essential to have a blog on my author website?
A3. No, it’s not necessary to have a blog. However, it can be a great way to share updates, insights, and news related to your work. It can also help you establish yourself as an authority in your niche and improve your search engine rankings.
Building a strong author platform is an ongoing process. It takes time and effort to establish yourself as an authority and build a following – but it’s definitely worth it in the long run.
By creating a professional website, building an email list, leveraging social media, and creating engaging content, you can connect with your audience, establish yourself as an authority, and sell more books.
With patience and persistence, and a continued focus on providing value to your audience, you can build a strong author platform that supports your writing career.
Believe, Plan, Act: A Platform + Productivity Planner for Writers
A complete platform + productivity planning system for your author business.
Everything you need to discover, plan, and execute your writing and business goals – so you can finally remove the word “aspiring” from all your profiles…